As a homeowner, it’s important to be vigilant about pests in your home. Identifying common household pests is the first step in preventing an infestation, and that’s where we at EastSide Pest Control can help. We’ve been providing pest control services in Vancouver, BC for years, and we’ve seen it all. Here are some of the most common household pests you might encounter, and what to look out for.
- Ants Ants are one of the most common household pests, and they can be found almost anywhere. They are attracted to sweet and sticky substances and will often enter homes in search of food. Ants are social insects, so if you see one, there are likely many more nearby. Look out for trails of ants leading to food sources, especially in the kitchen or pantry.
- Cockroaches Cockroaches are another common household pest that can be found in almost any home. They are attracted to warmth and moisture, so they often congregate in kitchens and bathrooms. Cockroaches can carry diseases and are known to trigger allergies and asthma. Look out for small, brown or black insects that scuttle away when you turn on the light.
- Rodents Rodents, such as mice and rats, are a serious pest problem. They can carry diseases and cause significant damage to your home. Look out for droppings, chew marks, and gnawed holes in food packages or walls. You may also hear scratching or scurrying noises in the walls or ceiling.
- Spiders Most spiders are harmless, but they can be unsettling to find in your home. Some, like the black widow or brown recluse, can be dangerous. Look out for webs in corners or high places, and keep an eye out for spiders themselves. They are often found in dark, quiet places, like closets or basements.
- Bed Bugs Bed bugs are a growing problem in many parts of the world. They are small, reddish-brown insects that feed on the blood of humans and animals. Bed bugs can be found in bedding, furniture, and even in electrical outlets. Look out for small, reddish-brown bugs, blood spots on bedding or furniture, or itchy bites.
- Termites Termites are a serious pest problem that can cause significant damage to your home. They feed on wood and can weaken the structure of your home. Look out for mud tubes or tunnels along the foundation or walls of your home, or small piles of sawdust.
- Flies Flies can be a nuisance, especially in the summer months. They are attracted to food and can carry diseases. Look out for large groups of flies near trash cans, compost bins, or other sources of food.
- Bees and Wasps Bees and wasps are important pollinators, but they can be dangerous if they build their nests too close to your home. Look out for buzzing sounds near your home, and keep an eye out for nests in trees, eaves, or other high places.
- Fleas Fleas are a common household pest, especially if you have pets. They are small, brown insects that feed on the blood of animals and humans. Look out for small, red bumps on your skin, or tiny black specks on your pet’s fur.
- Mosquitoes Mosquitoes are a nuisance, especially in the summer months. They can carry diseases, like West Nile virus or Zika virus. Look out for large groups of mosquitoes near standing water, like birdbaths or ponds.
To get rid of pests, it is important to first identify the type of pest you have in your home. Once you know what type of pest you have, you can take steps to get rid of them. This can include using pesticides, sealing off entry points, or calling in EastSide Pest Control. It is also important to keep your home clean and free of food debris to prevent pests from returning.
At EastSide Pest Control, we know how frustrating it can be to deal with pests in your home. That’s why we offer comprehensive pest control services in Vancouver, BC